The Arborist Trainee position will be filled by an efficient individual, who is safety-minded and has the desire to grow. This position will work as part of a greater team of tree care professionals. Our company has long-standing client relationships in Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, providing year-round work.
Arborist Trainees should have outdoor work experience, a strong desire to learn the trade, and access to reliable transportation. We offer a consistent work schedule, on-the-job training, and competitive pay with advancement opportunities. The ideal candidates will be capable of working with nominal oversight, upon receiving instruction, and willing to follow exact directions. Additionally, he or she should be familiar with tree care industry safety standards and procedures to ensure safe work practices are followed by all team members.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Prompt arrival for workday (8:00 AM) at company headquarters
- Prepared for full day’s work with proper uniform and boots, food and water, and personal arrangements made
- Participates fully in morning safety meetings, gathering of necessary equipment and supplies, checking fuel and oil levels, securing storage bins on truck, and dispatching to the job
- Provides spotting while in route to work location and helps in minimizing distractions on the road
- Assists in backing/maneuvering truck and equipment upon arrival to jobsite, when leaving site, and during dumping operations
- Assists with the implementation of work zone safety plan/setup including but not limited to the placement of cones and signs, gear stations, and moving or marking targets within the dropzone
- Continually and consistently assists climbing arborists and crew leaders working on the ground and aloft
- Efficiently cleans up brush and debris, holding a high standard for aesthetics of the site, leaving the site in better condition than it was found
- Operates and maintains chainsaws, chipper, stumpgrinder, hand tools, and all other equipment safely
- Learns and demonstrates high safety standards, sound tree risk assessment skills, equipment inspection skills, proper pruning methods, and implementation of proper tree felling procedures
- Assists in using sophisticated climbing and rigging techniques, pruning trees or shrubs with handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners, working off the ground in the canopy of trees and occasionally from ladders
- Daily vehicle, tool and equipment inventory, maintenance, cleaning, and storage; always conducting a walkaround prior to leaving jobsite to ensure all tools are collected and site is left to standard
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and communication with clients, staff, and other crew members
- Physical requirements include frequent standing, squatting, bending, walking, lifting heavy objects, properly loading and unloading, all while being exposed to adverse weather conditions
- Responsible for carrying out other duties as assigned by the Crew Leader or designated supervisor, Manager, and/or owners of the company
What We Are Looking For
- Someone who enjoys physical work, in the great outdoors (rain/snow and extreme heat/cold)
- Someone who takes pride in performing quality work, whom is focused and observant of their surroundings
- Willingness/ability to receive direction and work as part of a team
- A strong desire for skill and knowledge growth along with leadership development
Compensation commensurate with experience. Individual factors such as demonstrated hard and soft skills, level of education, history in the industry, and relevant work experience will all be evaluated. Wage increases (post-hire) will be determined on performance. Thresholds and action steps necessary for advancement will be clearly provided.
What to do next:
Submit your work history or resume to Chase Geibner, Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow up with a call to our office at 434-244-0560 to let us know of your interest and to make sure we see your email.
Return to Careers Page
Learn More About Our Charlottesville Tree Company
Go to the Home Page