Career Opportunity--Arborist Trainee (ground Crew)
K Thomas Lawson LLC, a tree care company in Charlottesville Virginia is hiring an Arborist Trainee (Grounds Person). The position will be filled by an efficient individual, who is safety-minded and has the desire to grow. This position will work as part of a greater team of tree care professionals. Our company has long-standing client relationships in Charlottesville and the surrounding areas, providing year-round work.
Arborist Trainees will have outdoor work experience, a strong desire to learn the trade, and access to reliable transportation. We offer a consistent work schedule, on-the-job training, industry certifications, and competitive pay with advancement opportunities. The ideal candidates will be capable of working with nominal oversight, upon receiving instruction, and willing to follow exact directions. Additionally, he or she should be familiar with tree care industry safety standards and procedures to ensure safe work practices are followed by all team members.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Individual factors such as demonstrated hard and soft skills, level of education, history in the industry, and relevant work experience will all be evaluated. Wage increases (post-hire) will be determined on performance. Thresholds and action steps necessary for advancement will be clearly provided.
Arborist Trainee Responsibilities and Duties
- Prompt arrival for workday (8:00 AM) at company headquarters
- Prepared for full day’s work with proper uniform and boots, food and water
- Participates fully in morning safety meetings, gathering of necessary equipment and supplies, checking fuel and oil levels, securing storage bins on truck, and dispatching to the job
- Provides spotting while in route to work location and helps in minimizing distractions on the road
- Assists in backing/maneuvering truck and equipment upon arrival to job site, when leaving site, and during dumping operations
- Assists with the implementation of work zone safety plan/setup including but not limited to the placement of cones and signs, gear stations, and moving or marking targets within the drop zone
- Continually and consistently assists climbing arborists and crew leaders working on the ground and aloft
- Efficiently cleans up brush and debris, holding a high standard for aesthetics of the site, leaving the site in better condition than it was found
- Operates and maintains chainsaws, chipper, stump grinder, hand tools, and all other equipment safely
- Learns and demonstrates high safety standards, sound tree risk assessment skills, equipment inspection skills, proper pruning methods, and implementation of proper tree felling procedures
- Assists in using climbing and rigging techniques, pruning trees or shrubs with handsaws, hand pruners, clippers, and power pruners, working off the ground in the canopy of trees and occasionally from ladders
- Daily vehicle, tool and equipment inventory, maintenance, cleaning, and storage; always conducting a walk-around prior to leaving job site to ensure all tools are collected and site is left to standard
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and communication with clients, staff, and other crew members
- Physical requirements include frequent standing, squatting, bending, walking, lifting heavy objects, properly loading and unloading, all while being exposed to adverse weather conditions
- Responsible for carrying out other duties as assigned by the Crew Leader or designated supervisor, Manager, and/or owners of the company
Arborist Trainee Qualifications
- Enjoys physical work in the great outdoors (rain/snow and extreme heat/cold)
- Capacity for focus on the task at hand and able to be aware of their surroundings
- Willingness and ability to receive direction and work as part of a team
- A strong desire to gain skills, knowledge, and develop leadership qualities
- Physical stamina and strength to carry out physical labor and lift heavy loads.
Submit Your Work History Or Resume and introduce yourself in a Cover Letter
Christine Brodmerkel, Owner
K Thomas Lawson LLC Is A Safe And Healthy Company For Our Employees, Clients And Our Community. Applicants Will Be Asked For A Motor Vehicle Record, Background Check And Pre-Hire Drug Screen.
K Thomas Lawson LLC is a tree care company located in the green rolling hills of central Virginia, delivering high quality tree care since 2001. The owner, K Thomas Lawson began working in the industry over 30 years ago and became the 305th Certified Arborist by the International Society of Arboriculture in 1989. Our company provides pruning and tree removal services for large and small trees, stump removal, and tree conservation measures to prolong the life of a tree. We service both residential and commercial customers in urban areas and the outlying counties.
Our tree care company is known for excellent customer service by all staff, safe working procedures, and quality tree work. We are privileged to work with deeply appreciative customers who recognize the value of trees and tree conservation. We are a non-smoking company. Learn more about us at : www.arborist-treecare.com
We are located in picturesque central Virginia with an abundance of educational and outdoor recreational opportunities and a thriving urban culture with a variety of music venues, micro breweries, vineyards, collegiate sports, farmer's markets and opportunities to meet people. www.charlottesville.org/ and www.c-ville.com/living/
Return to Careers Page
Learn More About Our Charlottesville Tree Company
Go to the Home Page